Media & Communications Officer/ PR Executive/ Writer/Journalist
Job Title: Communications Officer
Salary: £19,430 to £21,962 per annum
Hours: 37hrs per week
Our client is looking for a talented writer to play a key role in their communications team.
As one of their Communications Officers, you would be responsible for proactively seeking out quality stories for the media, social media, their customers and staff for use in press, publications and our internal communication channels.
You will be the council's first port of call for media enquiries and will help the council raise its profile nationally and locally, communicating clearly with their customers and supporting communication with their partners.
You will need a great news sense and an impeccable attention to detail. This is a challenging, rewarding, fun and varied role.
- Lead on external communications and marketing campaigns which support strategic objectives.
- Identify and generate news stories and take photographs, which support the council's objectives and which promote, protect and enhance the reputation of the council.
- Maintain ownership of external media relations and cultivate key media contacts.
- Support the development of digital channels including social media and the website to engage hard-to-reach customers and support the delivery of effortless customer experiences.
- Support the production of local marketing and communications material.
- Provide advisory and support service to the council to make sure communications is consistently delivered.
- Support staff engagement and internal communications projects and campaigns which support effective culture change.
- Develop and support crisis communications plans to protect the reputation of the council.
You might be a journalist looking for a first step into the comms world or you may already be working in comms and looking for a new challenge.
Excellent writing skills are essential and the ability to spot a story is vital. You will have an in-depth knowledge of the media and their needs, an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
They are looking for a team player who is committed to developing communications activities for the council.
- NCTJ or Proficiency Certificate holder or PR or Journalism qualification at degree level or equivalent
- Willingness & ability to obtain &/or enhance qualifications &/or training for development in this post
- Media trained and/or PR communications experience
- 2 years relevant experience
- Ability to proactively use and analyse social media channels
- Experience of writing news stories and producing copy for a variety of audience
- Excellent news sense and interviewing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish positive relationships with officers, members and the media
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise own tasks
- Excellent attention to detail to produce accurate work of a very high standard
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate at all levels
- Must be a team player supporting the success of the whole team
- Flexible in approach and willing to be creative
- Proactive and solution focused
- Excellent customer service attitude
- Filming and editing experience
- Experience taking professional level photographs to be used for publication
- Quark/Photoshop experience
- Experience of advising, running and evaluating campaigns
To apply for this role please click the APPLY button and further information will be sent to your email.
IMPORTANT: Please read this information carefully.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Communications Officer, Communications Coordinator, Press and PR Officer, Marketing Supervisor, Public Relations Officer, Media Strategies, Communications Controller, Marketing Manager, Communications Coordinator, PR Social Media Strategies, PR Account Manager, Communications Coordinator, PR Account Executive, Marketing Coordinator, PR Account Executive, PR Account Manager, Marketing Officer, Digital Marketing Executive, Media Relations Manager, SEO, PR Development, Client Communications, Digital Communications, Social Media Executive, Social Media Officer, Media Relations Officer, Journalist, Writer may also be considered for this role.