Chief Operating Officer (COO)
The Spencer Academies Trust, Nottinghamshire
Salary: Competitive + benefits
Starting as soon as possible after October 2017
The Spencer Academies Trust is a medium sized Trust which exists to make sure that every child, regardless of background, has access to an outstanding education and real choices in life. Our successful track record of providing high quality teaching and learning ensures improved outcomes for children and young people. Our mission statement for the Trust reflects our vision and aim for all Trust schools. Our highly-successful network of 10 schools (3 Secondary and 7 Primary) educates students across Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Nottingham City, Derby City and Leicestershire:
To improve the life chances of children and young people by raising aspirations and fulfilling potential, challenging and supporting all the schools within the Trust on their journey to and beyond outstanding and to achieve this by developing world-class leaders.
The Spencer Academies Trust is seeking to appoint a new COO. This is an exciting opportunity which will provide the successful candidate with the scope to shape and form the business and financial aspects of the Trust. You should have the qualifications, skill and experience to fulfil this strategic role within the Trust's Executive Leadership Team; you will be working with the Board of Directors, CEO and other senior leaders on the strategic objectives of the Trust and its ambitious plans for the future.
The Trust is looking for a COO to work with them to:
- Lead and oversee all operational aspects of the Trust including Finance, Payroll, ICT, HR, Estates, Procurement, Commercial and Administration to ensure the Trust meets its stated aims;
- Deliver on the clear vision of the Trust by providing strategic leadership and professional management. Establish and maintain outstanding professional relationships, ensuring effective communication across the Trust and with our stakeholders;
- Leading on all financial matters and provide assurance to the Chief Executive and Board of Directors over all financial matters, including financial strategy and risk, systems of internal financial control, financial standing and sustainability of the Trust's financial position.
- Support project work, as instructed by the Trust including working with new schools joining the Trust and other change management projects;
The successful candidate will have:
- An understanding of Academy/Trust organisation and significant experience of leading the strategic financial planning for an organisation within a Senior Manager role;
- An understanding of the statutory and regulatory frameworks for a multi academy trust including ESFA handbooks and guidelines, the roles of the DfE and the RSC offices;
- The ability to think independently, informed by practice and research; commercial awareness and skills;
- Experience of staff leadership and management, and evidence of achieving performance improvement across diverse teams;
- Emotional intelligence to support work with a diverse group of stakeholders in a dynamic and challenging environment.
Applicants will be expected to share our high aspirations and expectations for students and employees. If you are a dedicated professional and want to ensure that the operational functions with the Trust meet the needs of the Academies they serve and operate as cost effectively as possible and to support our Trust through the next stage of its exciting developments, please visit our website.
If you would like an informal discussion with our CEO, Paul West please contact Lynne Hoptroff on
To apply, please complete the on-line application form, attaching a CV and making sure to clearly evidence your achievements against the person specification, and the equal opportunities monitoring form.
For us to adhere to safer recruitment guidelines and best practice, please ensure your completed application form:
- accounts for any gaps in employment, and
- provides detail of all your employment by month as well as year.
Please also include the names, addresses, phone numbers and email contact details of two professional referees who must be your current and previous employers.
The Spencer Academies Trust on-line applications can be accessed through via the button below.
Closing date at midday Wednesday 27th September 2017
Interviews Week Commencing 9th October 2017
In line with safer recruitment policies references will be called for prior to interview.
The Spencer Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our students and all posts are subject to enhanced DBS with children's barred list checks and completion of Level 2 safeguarding training.